1. How’s the writing going overall?
Arrows Vol 2: Ah…not much.
The Woodsman: Slow, though not as slow as Arrows.
Gunnar & Mette: Sadly, I haven’t gotten anything done for this one. All of my plot bunnies are attacking the other two. Well, mainly The Woodsman.
2. What’s been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far?
Arrows Vol 2: Once I get back into the swing of things, I know the fun part will be the growth of Connor & Kelly’s relationship. Though I also need to develop Jack & Maggie’s relationship a little more too.
The Woodsman: Forcing Mr. Grumpy Hermit to talk? 😆
3. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who’s your favorite to write about?
Arrows Vol 2: All of them?
The Woodsman: Probably Mr. Grumpy Hermit and Nicki.
4. Has your novel surprised you in any way?
Arrows Vol 2: Now that I think of it, I suppose that one side character ending up with a story of his own before NaNo started could be a surprise. ‘Cause I hadn’t been planning on him being such a big side character, since that’s what he’s becoming…
The Woodsman: Brainstorming has given me new feels-er, angles, for this one. Feels as in 😭.
5. Have you come across any problem areas?
Arrows Vol 2: THE. STINKIN’. BEGINNING. I’m beginning to think that maaaaaaaaybe it needs to start with the kids already being teenagers. I’ll have to try it out.
The Woodsman: Not that I can think of right now, but it’ll likely have a lot of problem areas.
6. What’s been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?
Arrows Vol 2: Getting it started.
The Woodsman: Getting quite a bit of it written before NaNo even started. During NaNo, it’s been full of going back and forth to bring the plot up to speed with the newest angles, also known as the newest feels.
7. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you’d be? Would you take any different actions than they have?
Arrows: I’d either be Maggie or Kelly. As far as different actions…
The Woodsman: Maybe Nicki. Not sure what kind of different actions I’d take.
8. Give us the first sentence or paragraph then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!
These are subject to change, but for now, enjoy!
9. Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far! (For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!)
Arrows: I might’ve killed off a character offscreen…but I’m also not totally on board with it, so she might live in the final product. I don’t know yet.
The Woodsman: I made a character a Vietnam vet and like I said before, added way more feels. Including a slight mystery, which, coincidentally, is what this story started out as in the first place.
10. Take us on a tour of what a normal writing day for this novel looks like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough, cough*)? Tell all!
I stare at the computer until my brain wakes up enough to churn out a few words or couple paragraphs. Or get distracted by social media.
Well, that’s that for now. I may do an update thingy sometime within the next two weeks. Hope you’re all doing well!