It’s time for Part II of Christine Smith’s Know The Novel linkup!
1. How’s the writing going overall?
😐…it’s not. Not really. I did rename two characters and moved one family to a different spot (and updated the first post to reflect that). I’m starting to think I should do more researching and outlining for now.
Edit: I just wrote 354 words for ATFW (and more oculd come later today). But it’s still not at 3k. xD
Now, as for the other WIP: It’s The Woodsman and it’s coming along a little more than ATFW.
2. What’s been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far?
ATFW: Probably research? Hunting down books on internet archives has been really helpful.
TW: I changed Jonathan & Nicki’s relationship status to married and oh my word they’re so cute. I love writing them together because he’s so stubborn and she’s so stubborn and they just love each other so much. 🥰
They’re also very affectionate with each other – they’re either hugging, holding hands, or kissing every 5 pages (on second thought that’s probably a little bit of an exaggeration). Seriously though we need more affectionate married couples in fiction. GIVE US ALLLL AFFECTIONS PRECIOUS. (In a reasonable manner of course) But seriously. Married couples. Need to be. Affectionate. They’re married.
3. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who’s your favorite to write about?
ATFW: To be honest, considering how long it’s been since I’ve been in any of their heads – and given that some of them are relatively new – it’s a been a bit hard getting back into said heads.
TW: Probably Jonathan & Nicki.
4. Has your novel surprised you in any way?
ATFW: Hmm…not for this book but the other day a scene popped into my head that would be more fitting for Book #4. I’ve also made a decision regarding when Ezekiel Matthews becomes a captain (Hint: It’s no longer before Gettysburg. Which reminds me, now that I’ve made that change I need to edit this again). I’m also verrrry close to having a shocker of a plot twist in there, though considering it’s based in historical fact, it probably wouldn’t be that much of a shocker.
TW: Not sure…
5. Have you come across any problem areas?
ATFW: Um…trying to get it to move? Lol.
TW: It took me 20 pages to get to the spook of the matter. Is that too slow? I feel like that’s too slow.
6. What’s been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?
ATFW: Starting it?
TW: At least making it to the 25% mark. Now if only I can get to 50%…
7. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you’d be? Would you take any different actions than they have?
ATFW: I honestly think I would be a mix of Charity and Constance. Different actions…not sure.
TW: Probably Nicki. Not sure about different actions here either.
8. Give us the first sentence or paragraph then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!
(After a little bit of editing…) 1. Opening sentence of the Adams section. // 2. OTP meet! // 3. Added a prologue to TW so now this is the opening sentence. // 4. Married life. // 5. Jonathan being snarky bc he’s just so done.
9. Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far! (For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!)
ATFW: Haven’t killed anyone yet, ’cause the fighting hasn’t started yet. But as near as I can figure, about 2 characters die in this one – and they’re not even soldiers!
(ok so technically one was but that was when he was a young man)
TW: Well, this ended up as my main project. 😛
10. Take us on a tour of what a normal writing day for this novel looks like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough, cough*)? Tell all!
I write when I write and get distracted by social media and knitting.
That’s all for today! How’s your writing going?