It’s the last month of the year, Christmas is around the corner, and Part 3 of Christine Smith’s Know The Novel linkup is here!
Now, are you ready to hear allll the things about ATFW + TW + HM? Though honestly, I think I’ll jsut drop HM after the first question ’cause I hardly did anything with it.
1. How did writing this novel go all around?
Wellll…I didn’t get ATFW done. Which is probably a good thing because I want it to be roughly 110k. So I’ve given myself until May to finish the first draft, which is sitting still at . Honestly, I think once it gets to 10k, it’ll start moving along faster.
As for TW, it was slow at first, but then November the 5th came and I wrote 4,500 words that day. But it’s sitting at roughly 27k.
HM is gonna need some drawing board type stuff.
2. Did it turn out like you expected or completely different? And how do you feel about the outcome?
ATFW: Well, I’ve gotten some ideas for later on in the series.
TW: It kind of returned to some of its earlier roots. I’m happy with it though. Oh, and I added a little bundle of joy who’ll be born on a deceased grandparent’s birthday because feels.
3. What aspect of the story did you love writing about the most? (Characters, plot, setting, prose, etc.)
ATFW: Character interactions.
TW: JONATHAN & NICKI.
4. How about your least favorite part?
5. What do you feel like needs the most work?
Description is my nemesis.
6. How do you feel about your characters now? Who’s your favorite? Least favorite? Anyone surprise you? Give us all the details!
ATFW: I really have to get back into their heads. I would have to say that Nahum & Charity will probably be favorites, and I’m already biased towards the Matthews and Rhodes since they’re ancestors to the characters in Arrows and The Woodsman.
TW: I love ’em. (But not the bad guy or Ronnie). Now if we must talk about characters surprising me, I suppose I’d have to compress the 4 years spent on this story: Jonathan’s height suddenly going from 5’11-6’0 to 6’5, going from having lost his voice in the fire to not (because the story kept getting stuck and I couldn’t figure out the HOW), Nicki’s height suddenly going from 5’5′-5’6 to 5’2, and her name changing from Amber to Leslie to Nicole/Nicki. (Don’t get me started on how many times I changed her surname!)
Also, Jonathan & Nicki’s relationship status kept changing – in the Amber and Leslie and I think early Nicole/Nicki drafts they started out as strangers; now with this draft they start out as newlyweds-ish – eight months married to be exact – and already pregnant with their first baby.
7. What’s your next plan of action with this novel?
ATFW: Finish the first draft. Preferably by my birthday.
TW: THE FINISHING GAUNTLET. Then the Editing Pit of Despair. 🤣
8. If you could have your greatest dream realized for this novel, what would it be?
Publication for both!
9. Share some of your favorite snippets!
Well, I’ve already shared this one of ATFW but I love OTP meets. I also already shared this one of TW but no harm in sharing it again, right?
10. Did you glean any new writing and/or life lessons from writing this novel?